Founded in 1973 Michel St-Arneault Inc. is a family owned business located in St-Hubert, on the South shore of Montreal. At its beginning, the company processed various pre-cut vegetables; carrots, potatoes, onions, etc.
In 1987, wishing to expand its sales territory, Saint-Arneault Inc. acquires the rights to market a European process now unique in North America : the Qualifresh is born… Created with a revolutionary process, the Qualifresh fries offer a great product to restaurants, fresh and pre-cooked! In addition to saving precious time, these unique fries can be kept in the fridge for 30 days from the date of production without preservatives!
The success is almost immediate, and the popularity of the Qualifresh never ceases to grow.
In 1994, the Company installs new equipments on the production line adding frozen fries to its product portfolio.
Exportation is becoming key for the company; the Saint-Arneault fries are now sold in Canada, the United States, Central America and the Caribbean.
The Company invests massively in processing technologies and in the research and development of new products.
- 1973 – The Company is born with the purchase of a diner in Pointe Saint-Charles. A very humble start, working in the basement, peeling fresh potatoes and delivering to restaurants.
- 1975 – Setting grounds in a 2000ft2 warehouse in Verdun.
- 1981 – The Company moves to Saint-Hubert in a 10,000 ft2. production warehouse of whole peeled potatoes, fries, dices, carrots and onions fresh for 5 days.
- 1987 – Innovation – Launching the Qualifresh fries brand.
- 1994 – Expansion – The company starts exporting it’s fries, it incorporates the necessary equipment for the production of frozen fries.
- Between 1996 and 2002 – The company increases the factory surface and its production capacity. The production of whole peeled potatoes, carrots and onions is abandoned.
- 2011 – Purchase of a farm to grow, test and store different varieties of potatoes for processing at the factory.
- Over the years, several improvements and research helped to increase productivity, develop new products, processes and open new markets. Today the factory is 66,000 ft2 in size, the Qualifresh can be stored refrigerated for 30 days and frozen fries represents 80% of the total production of the plant.
- 2016 – The Company is getting ready for yet another expansion.